Are you wondering what your hair type is and how to deal with your curls? If you’re in the search about caring for your hair, especially if you have Type 4C, we will provide you some well-detailed information, reliable reviews, and guide about this matter.
In this article, we will explain about the hair typing system, and the characteristics of 4C hair. Please read our list of the best shampoo and conditioner for type 4C hair.
What is a Hair Typing System
We recognize that there are some differences associated with caring for certain types of hair. Furthermore, many women utilize hair typing systems to describe the way their hair looks.
It is important to be clear about a few things before we begin discussing hair types. There are multiple hair typing systems – including the Andre Walker Hair Typing System, LOIS, and FIA’s Hair Typing System.
Different Types of Hair
In this section, you will find several classifications of hair based on the Andre Walker Hair Typing System and other systems as well.
Type 1: Straight Hair
Generally speaking Type 1 hair is straight; however Andre categorizes this hair type into three very specific segments – Type 1A, Type 1B, and Type 1C.
- Type 1A: Described as fine, very thin and soft with a noticeable shine.
- Type 1B: Medium-textured and has more body than Type 1A hair.
- Type 1C: The most resistant to curly styling and relatively coarse compared to other Type 1 hair types.
Type 2: Wavy Hair
Type 2 hair has a wavy texture. It’s not quite straight, yet it’s not fully curly. It’s a spectrum that ranges from thick, S-shaped waves mixed with curls to loose loops.
The type 2 texture tends to be flatter around the root which makes it lay close to the head. It gets curlier from around the ears down.
- Type 2A – Your waves have a tousled, loose hair texture. Due to the lack of definition and volume, hair products can easily weigh down your strands. If you want to maintain your curls then use lighter hair products such as gels and mousses.
- Type 2B – Your hair is straight at the roots, at least for the most part, and has S-shaped waves that have more definition from the mid-length down to the ends. The texture is medium and has a bit of frizz at the crown. If you want more definition as a 2B hair type, plop your hair when it’s freshly washed.
- Type 2C – Your waves are much more defined and start all the way at the roots with ringlets and curls. The texture is generally coarse or thick, which has a habit of frizzing. Diffuse your hair while it’s wet, although your hair should not be soaking wet if you want more volume.
Type 3: Curly Hair
Type 3 hair ranges from tight, curly tendrils to light curls. It generally has a combination of different textures. Type 3 hair types are also defined as springy curls. They have more volume as well as height at roots than type 2 hair types, which are wavy.
- Type 3A -Your curls are big and loose. If you’ve ever seen sidewalk chalk then you have a good gauge for the circumference of Type 3A curls. They tend to be shiny as well and are S-shaped. If you want more curl definition, try to twirl tiny sections of curls around your finger when your hair is damp.
- Type 3B – Your curls are springy, and you can find variants anywhere from corkscrews to ringlets. Your curls are also voluminous. Where 3A hair types have curls that are approximately the circumference of sidewalk chalk, 3B hair types are comparable to a permanent marker.
3B hair is generally dense. Use humidity blocking styling products. You might want to use styling milk if you want more definition but less frizz.
- Type 3C – This is sometimes called “curly-coily” hair due to its density. It’s made up of tightly-packed corkscrew-like curls that tend to be as big around as a pencil.
3C tends to have the highest amount of volume, but also tends to have the most shrinkage. Stretch and enhance gently without heat with a flexi-rod set, twist-out, or a set of perm rods.
Type 4: Coily Hair
Coily hair is thin and fine, or wiry and coarse, and has coils that are densely packed. People often think coily hair is robust, but that is not the case!
It’s the most fragile texture due to having the fewest cuticle layers protecting it from dryness. The top hair concerns with type 4 hair are avoiding tangles, maintaining moisture, and fighting off shrinkage.
- Type 4A – Your coils are either fine or wiry with the circumference of a crochet needle. They’re still dense and springy with a notable S pattern.
- Type 4B – Instead of coiling or curling, you have hair that bends in sharp angles. They look quite a bit like the letter Z. The curl is tighter and far less defined, having the circumference of an ink-pen.
The strands range from wiry and coarse to fine and thin.
- Type 4C – You have hair as densely packed as 4B, just with less definition as well as more shrinkage. The hair texture, which is tightly coiled like all Type 4s, ranges from super fine and soft to coarse and wiry. It’s incredibly delicate hair.
The Characteristics of 4c Hair
4c hair is usually full and thick, as it’s coils are tight in a zig zag pattern. The 4c type, hair has often times referred to as the most “difficult” hair to manage and care for. Why? A lot of black hair types can easily be combed and done with the very famous “wash and go” hair routine.
However, with the 4c hair, you have to worry about shrinkage, detangling, and a lot of breakage. Most women with 4c hair usually opt for protective styles like corn rows. It prevents a lot of breakage and it can be cared for easier
Another major factor that contributes to the shedding of 4c hair is hair care products. 4c hair might be thicker and fuller, however, it is the most fragile hair type.
It suffers from heat, humidity, and bad hair care products.
Our Top Picks for the Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Type 4C Hair
#1 WOW Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo & Hair Conditioner Set
WOW shampoo and conditioner set uses virgin coconut and avocado oil to rejuvenate weak, thin, or damaged hair or dry scalp. The formulation of both oils replenish lost nutrition that’s vital in keeping strong, smooth hair.
This set detoxifies your hair and dry scalp to clear the buildup caused by dirt, filth, and style products. Apple cider vinegar removes filth that damages hair. Rich in vital protection to support healthier hair growth for men and women. Improve your hair cleansing routine by using both to get the best long-lasting results. Enriched with essential keratin proteins, vitamins B5 & E, and saw palmetto extract to help moisturize, soften & strengthen hair strands.
Saw palmetto helps slow down hair fall and male pattern baldness, reducing the amount of hair strands falling during a shower. With a little patience, your hair will have more volume and will feel softer, thicker and natural. Clarifying shampoo & hydrating conditioner set is hypoallergenic, leaving hair moisturized & soft. Less prone to breakage, split ends, and thinning hair by absorbing essential nutrients and vitamins.
#2 ArtNaturals Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner Set
Argan oil is known for its ability to help hair restore, enhance and grow. The natural moisturizer will help repair, dry, brittle and damaged hair from blow drying, flat ironing and sun exposure
Art Naturals argan oil shampoo and conditioner set is for both men and women, straight or curly hair, blondes or brunettes. This shampoo duo set is the ultimate experience.
The brand’s natural and organic ingredients help repair hair damage and prevent any effects from heat and excess styling. The hydrating minerals and oils work to hydrate the hair and scalp. Leaving hair feeling soft and refreshed. This powerful moisturizer will wash away all of the excess oils and dirt from your hair to get that beautiful shiny hair. This shampoo set will leave you with no grease and no residue.
#3 Dermachange Thick and Full Hair Growth Shampoo and Conditioner Set
Repairing is the first step allowing new growth. Dermachange shampoo and conditioner set uses aloe vera, argan oil, coconut oil and biotin to rejuvenate weak, thin or damaged hair, getting rid of dry scalp and dandruff. This formula replenishes lost nutrition that’s vital in keeping strong, smooth hair.
This detoxifies hair and dry scalp to clean out the buildup caused by dirt, chemicals and commercial styling products. Cassava Root is a powerhouse of nourishment from the roots to the tips, hydrating and clarifying, and super antioxidant protection supports healthier hair growth for men and women.
#4 PURA D’OR Biotin Original Gold Label Anti-Thinning Shampoo & Conditioner Set
A cleansing and thickening Argan Oil shampoo and conditioner set made with 17 Key Active Ingredients to eliminate the sources of thinning hair for thicker looking hair. Helps promote positive hair health and prevent further thinning or shedding.
This volumizing set is packed with natural vitamins essential in strengthening your hair. Hydrating nutrients from Moroccan Argan Oil for hair helps with breakage prevention and dry scalp. Say goodbye to bald spots and frizzy hair.
The brand’s mild formulation in this sulfate free shampoo and conditioner reduces thin due to breakage. Made in a stimulating formula that promotes beautiful thicker looking hair. Whether it’s a simple daily blow drying or regular hair dyeing, our sulfate-free products are safe for any hair types—bleached, color treated, natural hair, curly hair, or any treated hair.
#5 SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Shampoo & Conditioner
Flaunt a mane that’s flowing with oil and honey!
This all-natural manuka honey nourishes your hair and traps moisture. The rich mix of essential oils softens dry hair and smoothens it for easy manageability. The blend of organic Shea butter and Manuka Honey revitalize dry and damaged hair and help it stay conditioned. African fig and Baobab oil keep your hair moisturized, nourished, revitalized and smooth. The powerful blend of these all-natural ingredients strengthens hair and keeps frizz away.
#6 tgin Moisturizing Shampoo & Conditioner Duo
Our shampoo and conditioner set for both men and women includes two products to give you soft, shiny, moisturized and manageable hair with smoother cuticles. As an ultimate treatment, the Sulfate Free Shampoo and Triple Moisture Replenishing Conditioner work together to heal damage and improve health for all hair types. Even dry, straight, curly, or color treated.
This shampoo is enriched with both coconut oil, to gently cleanse your hair, and Pro Vitamin B5 to reduce breakage and increase moisture retention for healthier hair. Also, a combination of three moisturizers, Shea butter, Argan Oil and Jojoba oil, ensures that your hair is moisturized and sealed from the inside out.
This Duo does not contain harsh detergents that strip hair of its natural oils. Also, our products are made without parabens, sulfates, petrolatum, lanolin, artificial colors, or tested on animals.
#7 Soapbox Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner Set
Made with natural ingredients to soften and control hair, with a light, fresh scent of vanilla and freesia, use this product daily to leave your hair looking and feeling its best. Moroccan argan oil tames frizz and promotes soft-to-the-touch hair.
The shampoo creates a rich lather and the conditioner penetrates deeply into the scalp. Rinses completely to leave hair soft and residue-free feeling. Vitamin E from the argan oil helps maintain a smooth finish and hydrating Shea Butter gives hair 2X the moisture for locked-in shine, ultimate control and softness – formulated for all hair types for men and women
#8 Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair Double Combo Shampoo and Conditioner
Over the years, Cantu has slowly become a household name, and for the right reasons. As a matter of fact, this brand is regarded as the best natural hair care product, especially for 4c hair. Its main ingredient is Shea butter, which has the following effects on natural hair;
- Averts dryness of hair by moisturizing it
- Repair damages that might have been acquired over time by the use of different products
- It deeply conditions the hair, making it softer and very easy to style
- Protects the hair from UV rays, which can be damaging, as well as, environmental pollutants.
The Cantu Shea butter for natural hair double combo is a great choice for 4c hair. It is also, sulfate, paraben, and cruelty free. This product has worked for many and can definitely work for you too.
#9 Carol’s Daughter Cactus Rose Water Sulfate Free Shampoo and Conditioner Set
Cactus Rose Water Shampoo helps remove excess oils & impurities without drying to give fine, flat hair a fuller appearance while the conditioner helps create body while adding softness.
Use Carol’s Daughter Cactus Rose Sulfate-Free Shampoo, Lightweight Conditioner, to boost volume, add moisture, & hold body. Sulfate-free, paraben-free.This set is ideal for curly hair, hair prone to dryness, & any hair type that needs a little extra moisture protection. Use sulfate-free conditioner & shampoo together for best results.
Whether your curls are coiled, kinky, or loose, we make products for curly hair of all kinds, including curl custard, gel for curly hair, shampoo & conditioner.
#10 Tresemme Flawless Curls – Curl Hydration With Vitamin B1 Shampoo & Conditioner Set
TRESemmé has some of the most affordable hair products and is much better than other cheap competitors. It’s just as lightweight as the conditioner. Hair isn’t left feeling super dry or unclean. Doesn’t strip hair of its natural oils and is kid friendly! It gives volume and hydration into your hair.
Unlike other shampoo and conditioners it lasts all day instead of frizzing near the end of the day.provide your curls with a nice sheen. this formula does not leave my hair feeling stripped.
#11 MAJESTIC PURE Shea Butter Shampoo and Conditioner Set
Majestic Pure Shea Butter Shampoo & Conditioner Set is formulated with nourishing ingredients to promote healthy and strong hair. It is paraben free. Gentle enough for daily use and for all hair types. Majestic Pure Shea Butter Shampoo & Conditioner Set is light, won’t weigh your hair down.
This set contains shea butter to moisturize and smooth hair. It can also protect your hair color and suitable for all hair types, especially for dry, damaged hair.
#12 Aveda Pure Abundance Volumizing Shampoo & Clay Conditioner DUO
Wanting for more hair volume? This Volumizing shampoo and conditioner duo from Aveda creates volume and helps keep fine, limp hair looking and feeling more abundant. Both of the products contain acacia gum which helps fill out fine hair.
This set builds body and volume—with kaolin clay from England and acacia gum from Africa—for hair that looks more abundant. For a wonderful scent that stays in your hair, Aveda has their own pure-fume™ aroma with jasmine, certified organic peppermint, palmarosa, ylang ylang and other pure flower and plant essences.
How to Choose the Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Type 4C Hair
While there are limitless choices available, this should not be an excuse to choose just any product. Below are the most essential factors to consider.
- Ingredients: Have the time to check the label and research the ingredients that are indicated in the shampoo. Ensure that they are natural and effective in your hair or scalp concern.
- Scent: This is important because it will have a direct impact on how your hair will smell. For sure, you want your hair to smell fresh and fragrant even after a long day, so choose one with a scent that you will love. But you should choose shampoos that have natural extracts and essential oils than shampoos with synthetic fragrances on them. Natural extracts and essential oils are better in terms of providing your hair a wonderful scent without damaging it.
- Suitainability: When choosing a shampoo and conditioner set for Type 4C hair, you also have to make sure that it is appropriate for your hair type or concern. Because some shampoos are formulated for thick and curly hair. Some are for people who have sensitive scalp. They also have shampoos that are specifically labeled for dry, fine, and frizzy hair, among others.
Got questions about the best shampoos and conditioners for Type 4C hair? Below are some of the answers we gathered for you be informed well before we conclude this article.
How do you treat 4c hair?
Type 4C hair needs moisture always. Cleansing can wash away your natural oils leaving your hair dry and vulnerable to breakage. To add lost moisture, apply hair mask right after a good shampoo to strengthen and restore full hydration to your curls.
How can I moisturize my 4c hair daily?
Make sure water is the main ingredient in your moisturizer of choice. Use an oil to help seal in that moisture. Limit your exposure to heat. Deep Condition. Sleep with a satin bonnet or pillow.
How to treat split ends in my 4C hair?
Split ends are caused by lack of moisture, excessive heat tools, hair dyes, brushing or combing (dry or wet hair), rubbing harshly with towels, sun damage, nutritional deficiencies, shampooing too often. Once your hair is split, it cannot be repaired. To prevent split ends, shampoo less, cowash instead and condition after every wash. Limit the use of heat tools, brushing, and hair dyes. Use a tee for drying instead of a towel. Use hats and scarves if you are going to be out in the sun for too long and correct your diet.
Our hair types cannot be handled like the others; neither can it be neglected without obvious effect. When nurtured properly with simple steps, it will thrive and grow wonderfully. Remember that curly hair like Type 4C tends to have dryness so it will greatly benefit from regular deep conditioning. Poor hair handling practices have led to poor retention of the hair ends through breakage. So, we hope that this article will help you in managing your Type 4C hair. Try some of the best shampoo and conditioner for type 4C hair mentioned here!